Saturday, March 29 / 2:21 PM

Favourite Knits, Part 2

I don't usually like Patons patterns, but this one really caught my eye. It called for Shetland Chunky, which is 75% acrylic. I didn't really like it because it's fairly scratchy and rough, so I substituted Red Heart Chunky, which works up to exactly the same gauge, and I made it in red. It was really cheap but it doesn't look really cheap, and I've received lots of compliments. I keep wanting to be a fibre snob, but hey -- this one goes in the washing machine! I knit it in about a month and a half, and then waited another month and a half to finish it, but I'm getting less and less intimidated by sewing seams and weaving in ends. I'd like to make another similar sweater, but in a cardigan, so I could wear it over other stuff as a jacket. There's one I really like in the Debbie Bliss Cotton Knits for All Seasons book. I hear zippers are hard to do, though.

Also, I started knitting a small teddy bear from Teddy Bears, and I am unimpressed with the finishing instructions. "Sew head to body." Well how do I sew a round head to a round body? And where? The bear is wearing a turtleneck sweater in the only picture (I see Maggie Righetti's point!); there are no diagrams.... I'm just going to have to improvise.

|