Wednesday, April 30 / 4:03 AM

New New Project


Thanks for the suggestions for modifying the bobble sweater, but I've had to scrap it for now. I was getting the right gauge with the yarn I was using, but the fabric was too loose. So, this yarn is destined to be another sweater, and the bobble sweater returns to the future project pile, awaiting a more suitable yarn.

The new new project is an aran cardigan from Sirdar's "Relax in Aran." It's more traditional than trendy, and I can't wait to wear it. I'm knitting it in a light dusty blue colour, and am about halfway up the back. Haven't yet decided whether to use blue buttons (navy would be nice!) or wood buttons. I'm trying to do one pattern repeat a day, but will probably slow down next week since I do have two more exams.

Yarn Store Anecdotes
I went to my LYS on Friday after the dreaded economics exam to find a pattern that my yarn liked better, and while browsing around overheard a horrible exchange between some hideous woman and the polite but harassed employee. The woman had, like me, already purchased yarn, and wanted a simple vest pattern to knit for her granddaughter. She wanted the employee to whip up a pattern on the spot based on her yarn and to fit her (not present) granddaughter. When the employee explained that wouldn't be possible, the woman got huffy and said that the yarn store she used to shop at did this for her all the time. The employee then spent about ten minutes looking through the extensive pattern collection for a suitable vest, at which point the Evil Woman explained she was actually looking for a sleeveless top, not a vest. To her credit, the employee switched gears and started looking for a sleeveless top, and actually found one. However, it was in a booklet of several patterns, and since Evil Woman didn't want to knit the rest of the patterns in the booklet and didn't want to pay for the booklet (which was like $6, btw), she left empty-handed.

I approached the employee, promising to be less obnoxious than the previous customer. She laughed, saying "Oh, then it wasn't just me!" and cheerfully helped me with my request. We chatted about knitting designers, she raved to me about Viking Knits, gave me a discount, suggested I take her finishing class, and when I left the store we were both smiling. I am SO GLAD I have never worked in retail!

I almost forgot the best part. I was outside the store on my rollerblades, taking my flip-flops out of my bag, when this tiny little boy walked out of the store with his mom. "Mom, why is she taking out her sandals?" he asked, staring at me. "Because I can't go in the store with wheels on," I replied, though the question had not been addressed to me. "Why does she want to go into the store?" he continued. "Because I want to make a sweater," I said. "But there's just YARN in the there," he answered, confused. At this point, his mom jumped in. "You knit a sweater out of yarn," she explained. "You know how to KNIT?!" he asked, incredulously. I answered in the affirmative. "Mommy, why is she taking her socks off?" "Because you don't wear socks with flip-flops, honey." "Those are flip-flops? Flip flops! Flip flops!" he repeated to himself as she dragged him away. So cute. But at this stage of my life, I'd rather have a dog. A German Long-Haired Pointer like Rufus, who sadly lives 2 provinces away with my parents.


Not Rufus, but looks a lot like him*


*Sorry 'bout the non-knitting content, but I have to counteract all these silly cat posts I keep seeing -laugh-.

|