Tuesday, April 15 / 12:15 AM

A reply to QueerJoe's controversial a couple of days ago
Actually, it's more of a reply to the replies
Jesus Christ, some of these comments are ridiculous. Joe didn't say new blogs are bad, he said BORING blogs are bad. Yes, that makes him an elitist, but it's a good thing. All writers are not created equal. Everybody has the right to have a blog, and everybody else has the right not to read it. If you don't like what Joe has to say, leave. Don't tell him he has to conform to your way of thinking; as has been stated, it's HIS blog.

That being said, Joe, I wouldn't worry so much about the growing popularity of knit blogging. The more bloggers, the more idiots, but also the more interesting, creative, insightful knitters who came late to the game. Ignore the former, and enjoy the latter. I wholeheartedly agree with your interpretation of the "KnitLost." It was meant to be a place to share and learn, not to repeat the SAME POSTS daily.

Fortunately, while mailing list content is pushed, the blog format allows you to pick and choose what you read. Another good resource is the forum at Knitters' Review. Sure, it's been taken over by the same dorks who want you to do their thinking for them, but again, YOU get to pick and choose what you want to read. You can ignore the postings about which celebrity someone saw knitting for five seconds on TV and skip straight to an insightful journal someone wrote on her journey towards Master Knitter Certification.

Last but not least, the good thing about the idiots is that some of them do learn. I used to be the new knitter asking everybody to figure out yarn substitutions for me, but now (I hope) I've moved somewhat beyond that, and can actually make a contribution to the knitting community.

I've got a blog; started it recently. I haven't been posting every day because I don't have something interesting to say about knitting every day, and I refuse to fill in with cat stories (God I hate cats) or telling you what I ate yesterday or how much it snowed or the cute thing my DH/DD/DDIL/Daah I hate those stupid acronyms did this morning.* I have huge respect for those of you who can, and do post stuff I actually want to read on a daily basis, and I think that those of us who comment should try to do the same. If your comment won't add to the blog/discussion/whatever, then don't make it! Send it to the KnitList.

*If YOU want to include those things in your blog, and other people want to read them, that's totally cool. I love Wendy's blog, for example; I just ignore the cat stuff. And she doesn't give a rat's ass, because it's HER blog, and she can do what she wants with it.

|