Saturday, May 17 / 4:01 AM

Cables
I recently received a comment from a blog reader who admires those who knit with cables. Let me let everybody in on a little secret: Cables are easy! Sooo easy! The second thing I ever knit was cabled! They're much easier than colourwork, or even finishing. So, all of you who've never done cables, if you can knit and you can purl, I double dog-dare you to learn!

Bonne Marie Burns of Chicknits has a fantastic photo tutorial here; it's how I learned to cable.

Hell, you don't even need a cable needle! Use a toothpick, or an eyeliner brush, or a dpn (make it a short, light one, though, or you'll just be making it harder for yourself). I like bamboo skewers, cut short and sharpened at the cut end. Or...

Wendy Johnson has instructions on how to cable without a cable needle, once you get the basics down. It's so easy and fast!

Of course, everybody needs a pattern to practice on. Try these:



Here's a list of cabling abbreviations if you get confused.

Be sure to email me with stories or photos of your progress. This is a dare, after all. I'll post a photo of a cabled sweater I made for inspiration in the next couple of days.

|