Thursday, May 22 / 2:43 AM

New Project


I picked up a skein of Fleece Artist silk at my local yarn store yesterday... I couldn't help myself! $15 for a 250g hank of pure silk was too good a deal to pass up. It's a copper brown colour with flecks of red and green and gold in it, and it's quite thin. I'm still swatching, but I think it's going to come out at sport weight, which is excellent, because I want to make a tank with it and there's a lovely racerback one in the Interweave Knits Fall 2002 issue. However, I've never knit with silk before, so there are some questions I must answer before proceeding, especially since the original pattern is written for a mohair/wool blend:
  • I've never knit with silk before. I assume it has similar properties to cotton re: the necessity of tight gauge, growing, etc? Not that I've ever knit with cotton before, except a dishcloth or two....

  • I want to wash my swatch, in case it expands hugely or something. How should one wash a silk swatch?

  • My bust size is aout 38 1/2" in my favourite bra. The pattern comes in 35, 37, 39, 42, and 45" versions. I measured a tank I already have (it's not handknit, it's just stretchy fabric) in the fit I want, and it came out to 37". So it seems I should make that size, but is the silk going to stretch a lot? My thought at the moment is that 37 should be fine because the top I measured was stretchy.

  • The bottom, neck, and armhole edgings are all done in seed stitch. Should I switch to ribbing, because it's silk?

I think that's about it for the checklist; my stitch gauge is spot on so far, gotta knit some more, check the row gauge, and do some washing.

|