Wednesday, June 4 / 6:22 AM

Startitis

Hmm.... well, the fleece artist silk is closer to sock weight than sport weight, so a project with it is on hold at the moment while I figure out what to use it for. However, in the meantime I started making a pair of mittens from Folk Knitting in Estonia by Nancy Bush. I highly recommend this book. It's full of beautiful sock, glove, and mitten patterns, plus nifty traditional Estonian techniques. I'm using plain old Regia 4-ply in cream and blue. Started on Saturday and I've already finished one mitten, save for the thumb!

I tried making a pair of gloves from this book last year, they're absolutely beautiful with a snowflake pattern on the back of the hand and vertical stripes on the palms and fingers. However, I've realized I hate hate hate knitting gloves, because of the fingers. I finished one, and I just can't bring myself to add fingers to the second. Anyone wanna do it for me? This was, of course, my first stranded colourwork pattern (and my first glove pattern, and my first DPN pattern, and my first non-chunky yarn pattern... it was destined to fail!) so the tension is a bit wonky at colour joins. I can't bring myself to finish them, and I can't bring myself to rip 'em out and start 'em over, so I think they're just gonna sit there. Too bad - they were in Koigu, too. Beautiful stuff. At any rate, the mittens should be finished by next week!

|