Tuesday, August 5 / 1:14 AM

No wonder I'm having trouble finishing anything I start!
The fall Rowan and Jaeger collections are now out (Bonne Marie Burns beat me to the punch, as usual, despite my obsessive website-checking!) and I'm definitely inspired. That's not to say there aren't some laughable and downright ugly designs. For example....


Aaaaahahaha! Louisa Harding, what were you thinking?
Actually, this design wouldn't be half-bad without the plaid.


Is this some kind of sick joke?
Actually, the Jaeger line this fall is all pretty much this bad.
I tend to like the Rowan stuff, OR the Jaeger stuff, but never both at the same time.
Also, am I the only one who wonders why Jaeger doesn't have a web site?


On to the good...


I like funky hats. This funky hat is cool.


This sweater, entitled Parka, is also very cool.
I could love it in blue, or a greenish brown.


This is far weirder than the things I usually wear.
But I feel a strange pull to knit it, even if it is only to be worn once.
It could be very edgy in black, though black is not much fun to knit with.
I'd change the seed stitch at the waist to ribbing, though, I think -
the seed stitch creates unnecessary bulk at the waist, which I'd also probably lengthen.



There's lots of other good stuff, too! Some guys' designs I like in the new Plaid collection, and a couple of good ideas in The Next Big Thing, although it mostly seems designated for the Junior High set.

Spinning news
I think I'm starting to get the hang of it! Here's my mini-review of Spin It: The spinning instructions are fairly clear, and I really like the way she guides you from spinning just using the wool and your hand, to using a hook, to using a drop spindle. On the down side, I would've liked more pictures of different kinds of yarn, more techniques, and information about what kinds of wool for beginners to use - I made my first attempt using Merino and failed miserably, but the nice lady from the world's coolest yarn store told me that it's a bit difficult and gave me some easier stuff to work with. I spun half a skein of lumpy, chunky yarn, then said "I can do better" and spun the rest much thinner. Haven't set the twist yet but I think it's about worsted-weight. I won't know until I swatch, though. I thought it would take a million years to spin all that fibre, but it actually went rather quickly.

Knitting news
I've actually been itching to restart St. Brigid, which is a very good thing. I'm gonna have to do some more swatching first, though. I've also been itching, however, to start a new project (gaaah!) so we'll see what happens.

Don't forget, contest closes on Wednesday (see below)!


|