Wednesday, February 11 / 2:20 AM

Moving right along...


So I'm finished the back of Shona. I'm knitting it to fit about a size smaller on me than on the model shown in the last post, because I want it to fit like one of my favourite store-bought sweaters, a thrift store find I grabbed last summer in Halifax at a little store called Junk & Foibles.

The stockinette really curls and I can't find my pins (or my keys, but that's par for the course) so I'll just give you a partial photo. Colours are really hard to photograph without natural light, and I'm not going to go out into the snowy Quad to snap photos of my knitting. Around here, that would be taken for crazy-cat-lady-ness.

The yarn's not all that soft, but the colour is fun, and it was a gift from an old friend, which makes it even better. I'm a bit concerned about some unevenness in the fabric - usually my stockinette stitch is, dare I say it, almost perfect. I think it'll smooth out with blocking. Blocking doesn't fix most problems, but I think that's one thing it can do. Hey, I think I'll block it this afternoon just to see.

We skipped the light fandango
Turned cartwheels 'cross the floor
I was feeling kinda seasick
The crowd called out for more

...

And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale.

--"Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum, one of the best songs of all time

|