Thursday, February 5 / 3:15 AM

St. Brigid

  • Patons Classic Merino (~8 balls)

  • Started: June 2003

  • Finished: Early January 2004
    (but I ignored it for a good long time)


Yep, I finished it. Just after Christmas. I should've made the smaller size, but I wanted an oversized sweatshirt-type schlepping around sweater (yes, that's right. I like to schlepp around in sumptuous Celtic cables), and that's certainly what I got. Modifications? No fringe on bottom. Tacky, tacky, tacky. Someone somewhere in the blogging universe described it as a "horse blanket" and I completely agree. I also skipped the ribbing on the neckband. I did try it, but I didn't want to do it turtleneck-style and it looked terrible as a single layer. The neckband stands out on its own well enough anyway.

Tip: My row gauge was a bit off. Not substantially, but I needed to knit a couple more inches at the tops of the sleeves in order to get them to the right height. That resulted in oddly-shaped sleeves.


I didn't think it would be a big deal but once they were sewed together, the straight bit looked all bunchy and terrible. I 'fixed' it by re-seaming the sleeves on an angle (like I was going to re-knit ANY MORE of that sweater!) but if I knit this again, I'd re-calculate the increases to make a smooth line.

Oh, and I took this using a flash (anywhere outside to spread knitwear is covered in snow!) so the colour's a bit off. It's actually a deep jewel tone forest green.

"No one who cooks, cooks alone. Even at her most solitary, a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations of cooks past, the advice and menus of cooks present, the wisdom of cookbook writers."
- Laurie Colwin

|