Thursday, June 9 / 11:02 PM

Gauge...

...it gets you every time.

I cast on to knit the edging for the front of "Butterfly", having completed the edging for the back (and then picked up stitches to knit the body). If I could do it all over again, I would have knit both edgings first, as my gauge has loosened since I knit the first edging, and I'm having a devil of a time tightening up to match. I suppose I could go down a needle size, but that would require altogether too much work (i.e. going out and buying a new pair of needles!).

Not to mention ripping back the too-big edging is NOT FUN. Ah, mohair. I'm convinced it's what the King had in mind when he sang "Devil in Disguise".

I think for most lace projects, gauge isn't a crucial issue, but since in this case (a) both halves need to be the same size and (b) it has to fit me, it's quite important. Also, I've knit so few lace projects that I don't really have a 'feel' for whether I'm knitting tightly or loosely yet. In stocking stitch I can knit a whole project loosely or tightly, on purpose, and manage to maintain even tension. In lace, I'm just trying to make sure I stick to the pattern as I increase and decrease (the secret to my success so far has been lots of post-it notes).

Speaking of gauge, if you're knitting a project and just can't get it (or trying to adapt a pattern for a completely different gauge), you should download "Jim's Handy-Dandy Little Knitcomp Program." It's free, and it's saved my (knitting) bacon on more than one occasion.

|